Bunch Training Rides
Ramblers do not organise any training rides however there are many groups that meet regularly for evening and Sunday training sessions.
Hastings Sunday Ride:
Leaving outside HB Today Heretaunga Street East 8am every Sunday (8:30am in Winter, check facebook for confirmed time).
The course is posted on our facebook page and normally consists of a long and short ride.
This group is generally a bigger group especially suited for riders wanting to join a training programme leading up to the Tour of the Bay or the Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge and also for those wishing to learn or improve bunch riding skills.
Taradale Sunday Ride:
Rides leave from the Taradale Clocktower and starts at 8:00am every Sunday, almost regardless of the weather. The programme is subject to change with the confirmed ride normally posted at 5pm every Friday on our facebook page. We are happy to take suggestions for future rides, if you would like to have some input into the schedule, please contact Brett Hooker .
Sun 1 Sep: Tuki 97km
Sun 8 Sep: Whanawhana Otamauri Taihape 97km
Sun 15 Sep: Flag Range Rd return 86km
Sun 22 Sep: Valley Rd 100km
Sun 29 Sep: Seafield Kaiwaka 96km
Sun 6 Oc:t Patoka (Hawkston Rd/Balls Clearing) 85/110km
Sun 13 Oct: Kereru 108km
Sun 20 Oct: Tour of the Bay No Sunday Ride
Sun 27 Oct: Tuki 97km
Sun 3 Nov: Lawrence Rd return 111km
Sun 10 Nov: Tikokino Argyll Raukawa 135km
Sun 17 Nov: Ohiti Taihape Crownthorpe 95km
Sun 24 Nov: Valley Rd 100km
Sat 30 Nov: TAUPO
- Please remember race day is Saturday not Sunday!
- This group tends to comprise of more experienced riders (generally grades A, B and C) and averages around 30km/h. New members are welcome.
- Please obey all road rules.
- Keep Left at all times.
- Try to keep the bunch together, let riders in front know if others are drifting off the back.
- Do not ride 2 abreast in situations that might hold up traffic, never ride more than 2 abreast.
- Ensure you have adequate fluid and food for long rides.
- Keep your tyres in good condition.
- Please stop and assist with punctures when ride does not return on same road.
- Please indicate and point out hazards on the road and when changing direction at intersections.
- Consider buying a rear wheel guard for the wet weather.
- Coffee at Florian (New World Greenmeadows) to finish.
HAVELOCK NORTH/HASTINGS: The Pain Train leaves Te Mata Road/Danvers Street opposite the Hair at 88 Salon at 5.45pm every Tuesday evening. This group tends to comprise more experienced riders (generally grades A and B) and travels at a fast pace. It stops to regroup at the corner of Moore & Tukituki Rds where it often joins the Havelock Train for the return trip to Havelock North.
The Havelock Train leaves from the Church just after TeMata Rd & St Hills Lane every Tuesday evening at 5:40pm. This group tends to comprise of riders from Grades C and D. New members are welcome. It stops to regroup at the corner of Moore & Tukituki Rds where it often joins the Pain Train for the return trip to Havelock North.
The Tuesday Night Hammer leaves Taradale Clocktower at 5:15pm during daylight savings and travels over Apley & Seafield Rds. Regroup at the end of Seafield & return via Westshore Pathway & Prebensen Drive. Average speed around 30km/h so most suitable for A-D graders, but all welcome.